Re: [ST] Finally got my ST in my garage.

> running rich.  I think I have tune 13 (or 17 ... memory is failing), but
> it was the latest tune as of march 02.  on/off gas transitions yield
> popping in the can (I have the race can).  sounds like a richly jetted
> race bike, and will backfire if one ham fists the on/off transition.
> mileage was consistently high 40s to low 50s (mpg), except when faced
> with long runs into 30+ mph head / quartering winds where mileage was
> high 30s (at 70 +/- mph indicated).  Me thinks that it couldn't have
> been that rich

The tune for the 'race' can does get a wee rich right around idle.
You'll also notice that if you hold it on a trailing throttle for a
bit then dump it open it just about kills itself before taking off. I
think possible gas builds up on the butterflies then gets dumped in
all at once when you ham fist it like that. Not that I've ever done
that - no not me, I'm mr. subtle!

> harsh front end.  I am a "lighter" rider.  155 lbs with gear.  2-up the
> front end was perfect (albeit soft for agressive sport riding), but solo
> the bike feels very harsh (harsher than my race bikes) in city (SF) esp.
>   when riding solo.  Currently 3 lines of front end preload showing.  I
> will investigate this more.  It should be fun.  Emulators might be in
> the offing.

Simply put the suspension in the Sprint is crap. undersprung and the
damping is Just Plain Wrong. Around Milwaukee, we have a lot of rough
roads, and I'm getting sick of being kicked in the ass by my own bike.
  Sport bikes I've been demoing (748, tt600, spd4, FireBolt) all ride
smoother despite being 'tighter'. So, for me, it'll be racetechs and a
Showa (or Penske) next spring. Or a speed 4. Or a Daytona 600 (right,
Triumph Ltd. lurkers? Right?)

> Cross winds, OY!  I thought that the Yamaha TDM was one of the meanest
> sails out there when it came to cross winds.  I encountered cross winds
> which required large amounts of correction and lean angle to keep in my
> lane.  Granted I was running with all three bags loaded...  I don't
> recall a thread about wind.  It was pretty rough, expecially 2-up.  I
> was following some cruisers down US 93 in idaho, and they were unphased
> by the wind.  hrmmmm

Yeah, it catches cross winds. I keep thinking that the cruiser riders
are unphased by crosswinds because their bikes don't go where they're
pointed at any other time, either. I had a Legend with the 'Roadster'
screan on it, which was way worse, though. Those barndoor screens act
like a wing in a crosswind. _That_ gets scary.

> definately need new rubber now.  the rear is squared off quite badly.

The curse of sport-touring - all that nice rubber around the edges
goes to waste when you're doing the 'touring' bit.

> This weekend is the 6000 mile checkup:  oil, oil filter, fuel filter and
> pulling the wheels for new tires.  Don't know what rubber I am going to
> get, but I need something that lasts more than 4000 miles.  (I have
> another little trip planned for labor day)
>
> I should also mention that the passenger was a trooper like no other
> (no, she isn't on this list, so I am not brown nosing).  This was her
> first trip over 100 miles, and she willinging knocked off three 500 mile
> days in a row to get back home in time for school.

Wow! Try _that_ on a sportbike!

> oh, did I mention that I am really really jazzed about this bike?  Well,
> I am wicked happy.  Above 7k is downright thrilling and scary --  I race
> 33 hp bikes -- the roll on is organ adjusting.

Indeed it is! I love the 'time-warp effect' when you hit the real
powerband. And the lovely thing about our dear old 955s is that the
midrange is good enough that you think you're in the powerband when it
hits that 7K magic! Big, scary fun!

Enjoy!
danch ("Il calimare grande" - '01 BRG)