[ST] Looking for info from RS owners

After crashing my ST at this year's Eastern Rallye, I'm pretty sure my
insurance company will write it off as a "total."  I'm considering an '02
Sprint RS for my next one.  Questions:

1. Panniers.  Are you happy with the Triumph soft panniers?  Are they large
enough for long-distance touring?  My dealer says that Givi is now offering
hard panniers for the RS, but I was unable to confirm this on their web
site.

2. Chain adjustment.  I was surprised that the design is a bolt and nut
combination on each side of the swing arm.  Is this a hassle for you?  Can
the chain be adjusted without a center stand?

3. Clutch cable.  The clutch cable appears too long.  It is bunched up in
the handlebar, especially with you turn the handlebars right.  The angle is
quite sharp, almost like folding the cable in half.  Is this typical for the
'02 RS?

Finally, is there anyone on the list who has owned or ridden a BMW R1100S?
There is a slightly used one at a local dealership.  I am lusting after it,
but it is SO PRICEY.  It's drop-dead gorgeous, and has ABS brakes and a
driveshaft (no chain!).  But I am finding it difficult to justify the $$$.

- - Pete Berg
  Detroit