Re: [ST] The Ol' Mileage Question (was Changing wheels)

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:19:28 -0800, peter.chittum@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>The one thing about riding style that I never hear discussed has to do with
>compression braking vs. heavy brake use.  I got ~9000 miles off of the
>BT57's, and I've heard of others getting better than that.  And then there
>are some like David here who can't seem to get more than about 3k miles on
>any tires.  I've heard that heavy braking can increase tire wear.  I wonder
>if there's any correlation in our little group of listers.  What I was
>thinking is:
>
>high use of compression braking = typically longer tire life
>     vs.
>low use of compression braking = typically shorter tire life
  [snip]
> I tend to use compression braking fairly heavily, and 9k miles on a set of
>BT75's seems on the higher end.
>
>Anyway, there seem to be so many factors that can lead two riders on the
>same bike and the same tires to experience extremely disparate tire life,
>we'll probably never know.

  I don't think compression braking has much to do with tire mileage. I am tring not
to use much rear braking at all to get more rear tire life. And I don't think it would
have much effect on the front tire anyway. My fronts wear out half way between
the center and the edge.
  I do think the kinds of roads is important. I ride a lot of coarse, chip seal roads
that seem to be hard on tires. Of coarse a lot highway miles will eat the center
out of a rear tire. My rears tend to wear out just off center first.
  I try to get every mile out of my tires, but I never want to see cords. There is
almost no rubber below the bottom of the treads. When the tread is gone the tire
is gone. Tring to get an extra 100 miles after the tread was worn flat left me with
cords.
  I would love to learn to ride so the tires last longer. Other than not over using the
throttle, I don't have a clue.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA