[ST] What I learned this morning

At 18ºF at 6AM:
- -Tires need quite a while to warm up.
- -Manhole covers are quite slick if the tires aren't warmed up. Even at
10 mph when avoiding gravel.
- -Sparks can still be generated by the side and center stands, and the
bar-end weight.
- -Hard panniers are not only hard but also very brittle.
- -The aluminum clutch and shift levers leave interesting scrape marks on
pavement.
- -When you're in full leathers, standing next to a downed bike, and
dialing a cell phone on the main road through Verona, NJ only one person
in twenty will stop to ask if you're OK.
- -Fingertips get cold very fast while dialing a cell phone.
- -My wife does not mind getting out of a warm bed to drive over and help
me gather the pieces of my pannier a half of a mile from home.
- -Numb fingers and adrenaline help when you alone are picking up an ST
with a full gas tank.
- -It's easy to forget that you hit the kill switch while your trusty
steed was on its side
- -The neutral switch gets confused.
- -Even when back inside warm gloves, numb fingers don't like a clutch
lever that is bent upwards.
- -You don't mind riding back home in first gear when the shift lever is
bent in.
- -You don't care what the fairing looks like in the dark garage when your
fingers want to go inside and warm up.
- -You don't bother looking at your leathers because you are going to be
late for work.
- -It's tougher to get out of your leathers when your fingers are numb and
you're going to be late for work.
- -You just want to get to work so that you can easily afford the
replacement parts and/or increased insurance premiums in NJ.
- -I didn't have these problems yesterday at 17ºF at 6AM

- --
Steve Lawler
Introducing NetZero Long Distance
1st month Free!