Re: [ST] Frame Sliders

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 05:02:55PM -0500, colt4530@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My questions are, are they worth the cost and trouble?  Do they end up
> bending the frame in addition to the expected fairing damage when you low
> side?  Plastic is expensive, but Aluminum is even more expensive.

Okay, here goes the frame slider debate again...

I had the Moku frame sliders on my 99 ST.  They cost around $150 +
shipping from Lilleys.

If you low side your bike or have a 0 speed tipover, they will probably
prevent plastic damage.

If you high side with them, even at low speed (probably 15mph in my
case), here's what will happen:

http://www.erf.net/~brd/photos/bikecrash/Pages/7.html

Game over, man!  Game over!

Not only did the frame crack, but you can see so did the head or part of
the engine case where the engine mount bolt attaches to it.  The slider
replaces the engine mount bolt, after all.

Now, the skyking sliders don't seem to do this.  I witnessed Duncan's
high-side and saw his skyking slider afterward.  It sheared off,
apparently by design.  It has a groove machined in the shaft, I guess,
so that it will break there in the case of a really hard impact.  The
Moku's do not.

Then again, as I've said before, there really is no good outcome from a
high-side.  If I hadn't had the sliders, there would have been more
damage to the bodywork, forktubes, radiator, etc, and I'm still
convinced my bike would have been totalled.

As of right now, I don't plan to put any sliders on the VFR.  I'm not
convinced they're bad or good, I just can't afford it.

Laters,
Brian
- --
Euless, TX