[ST] Answers for Steve

>Now for the questions:
>1) One tab broke off and one tab is cracked on the belly pan. Has anyone
>been successful in gluing fairing parts? Is any special wundercement
needed?

A two part epoxy from an auto supply store will work.  Use a piece of
cardboard or thick paper to hold the tab to the bodywork while the epoxy
sets.  Also, note to apply the epoxy only to the side of the tab that is not
flush to the mating piece, i.e. epoxy the face and not the corner.

>3)When the pannier was liberated from its home the hooked metal tab that
>the latch hooks onto was straightened. I will remove it and attempt to
>re-bend it. I'm sure that the metallurgists here will tell me all about
>metal fatigue. In the event that I am unsuccessful in my endeavor I will
>need to replace it. Does anyone out there have a pannier that was
>trashed and have its hook in good shape that they would be willing to
>sell. Or does anyone know if that part can be purchased?

Two cycles does not constitute fatigue.  If it were to break it would just
be due to the relative "brittleness" of the steel and plastic deformation.
Yes, you can buy a new clamp.  Swapping out the lock mechanism will be a bit
tough, but possible with sufficient patience.

Also a note of thanks to Steve for pointing out the dangers of cold man hole
covers.  I made a special note to avoid the 38 covers on my way to work in
the 7 degree temp this morning.

Doug Bailey
Metallurgist
Lycoming Engines