Re: [ST] tyre pressures

If you are going to play with tire pressure, you need to use an air pressure
gauge. By that I mean while riding. After riding a section of road, say 10
minutes or so if you started with warm tires, stop and measure the pressure
as quickly as you can. You will be looking for a 10% to 20% pressure rise
from cold. Just what pressure rise works best is the debate, but 10% - 20%
is a good limit. For long distance I would aim for something close to 10%.
For maximum traction, around 15%. A 20% rise is a fairly large amount.
But in all cases it is how the tire / pressure works for you. So far I have been
satisfied with the recommended 36/42 psi.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:34:53 -0500, serlick@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>	If you reduce tyre pressure you get better grip at the expense of
generating excessive heat in the tyre carcass & possible sidewall failure. I
wouldn't mess with lower pressures more than 3 PSI. To hot a tyre kills
design life.