Re: [ST] Improvements for Sprint ST

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:07:41 +0100, SELLAR Euan wrote:

>With regards to improving the ST, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the
>headlights: they are very very poor and certainly inferior to most current bikes,
>particulalrly its main competitor, the VFR. You can adjust the height, change the
>bulbs and connect both headlights so that they work simultaneously (like many
>listers have), but the improvement is only marginal. And still inadequate for a
>quick bike such as the ST.

Better headlights is always a good idea. I would like the sun to come out when I turn my
headlights on. But my Sprint ST lights are the best I have ever had.

>Seat comfort could be improved too: Softer and (for the pilion) slightly wider.

Seats are so very personal. Anything the factory does is just as likely to make it worse for
as many as it makes better. I don't think I would like softer.

>I'm delighted with my ST but not ready to purchase another one. There are just
>too many rough edges, which Triumph should have sorted by now.

Just which rough edges bother you and why?

>It's a pity their
>marketing strategy has been to multiply the models in the range (i.e. the 600s)
>rather than continuously improve the good models they have.

I have never been too sure about the 600s. Since I don't want one I would rather they
spent all their development on the Sprint ST, but it could be good for the company.

>Unfortunately the ST
>is now outdated compared to the competition and there are no plans I'm aware of
>for a replacement.

I don't think the ST is ready for replacement, but only improvement.
ABS would be nice.

How do you see it as "outdated"?

What "competition" are you thinking of?
I think the ST has the VFR covered. The ST4S and Futura's are tough competition, but I
am not sure they are clearly better. The FJR1300 and ST1300 are both bigger and
heavier. Well may be the FJR1300 is seriously close to the ST. Some of the BMWs are
interesting, but different, plus expensive.

I really enjoy thinking/talking about the "best" sport touring motorcycle.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA