RE: [ST] 190 on rear

At 02:46 AM 12/17/02, David J. Hughes wrote:

>I think a lot of the "slower turn in" comments need to be
>put into perspective.  It's like people who say that an
>ST is a crap bike compared to an R1.  Any modern bike is
>better than just about anybody who may choose to ride it.
>If you are one of those very few people out there that can
>use the full capabilities of an ST then you may be able to
>feel the slower turn-in.  Like I said, I can't and I've
>been riding for 15 years.

Not as hard to detect/feel the differnces as you might believe. While I've
never run a 190 on my ST, I  HAVE run a lot of different size tires on
different rim sizes on different bikes. I'm no Ben Bostrom - just an
"expert" level club racer.

It's not the only factor that's determining "turn-in". And I don't think
it's the most important. But it does make a noticeable difference -
especially when you're chasing lap-times on a track. When fine-tuning
suspension, you learn to develop a sense for feeling differences.

Personally, (and as a general guide) I believe in choosing the smallest
tire you can get away with. I like my ST pretty much the way it is (I don't
ride it for it's "performance" aspect - I got racebikes for that) so I
don't feel a real need for changing the rear away from a 180. Though the
same size tire from different mfgrs will have subtle handling differences
due to profile (I like the way a BT 020 feels on the front when paired with
a Michelin Sport Pilot on the rear). But if faced with the choice of having
to go with a different size, I'd put a 170 on the rear well before I'd put
a 190 back there.