contact patch arguments(Re: [ST] 190 on rear)

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 11:03:51PM -0500, colt4530@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> For the same combination of *load* and *pressure*, any 2 tires will have
> the same contact patch area.  Maybe I should have also emphasised area.  I
> diliberately exclude run-flat tires like what comes on a Corvette; they
> have so much steel, they don't flex and bend like a real tire.
>
> John

Congratulations, John.  I didn't think there were any "new" arguments to
be had on the ST list, but you seem to have found one (unless this one
has come up before I joined the list 1.5 years ago).

I'm not enough of a physicist to argue this on my own, but I did find
the following:  http://www.howstuffworks.com/question506.htm which might
help in the group's understanding of this (though it is for car tires).

This reminds me, Bikeweek (on speedvision) ran an interesting piece
about how tires are made where they toured the Dunlop factory in NY.
It was pretty interesting.

Laters,
Brian
- --