Re: [ST] heat cycles

  Bryce wrote:

>Do u think the traction of your race take-offs equal
>the best street sport tire out there u could throw on?

hrmmmmmmmm.

> Just curious....

brad said

>There's no way in hell I need 100% of the grip that a brandy spanking new D207rr can offer on a street bike. Even in an emergency situation it would be pointless because the bike's chassis is not set up to handle it.

This kinda sums it up.  You can't ride on the street like you ride on
the track.  There are alot of street riders who ride faster than I do on
the streets.  Since I started pouring most of my "discretionary*" budget
into the track, I have pulled my street pace back a notch.  I know how
fast I can go.  And I want to be able to do it again tomorrow.  And
since there are no oncoming volvos/winnabegos/SUVs at the track, that is
where I hone my hi end skills.  On the street I just enjoy riding, and
working on the basics:  body position, smooth corner entry/exit, smooth
throttle/brake transition.  I have done a number of slow speed skill
development tasks on the street, such as trail braking corners.  You
can't trail brake at speed if you don't have the motor skills in place,
and braking, turning in, dropping a gear or two, coming off the brake,
easing back on the gas and hitting the apex is alot to do at once [and
when you get older, it takes a little longer to learn things].  Granted
this is a fringe skill for most club racers, however it was one which I
came to fairly naturally.  My race bike is stock, and down on
horsepower, so I make up for it with as many riding tools I can maintain.

The best street tire is then very subjective.  My "best tire" is one
which I am comfortable riding with.  Would I put a set of take offs on
my sprint, then go for a 2000 mile weekend tear to vancouver and back?
 No.  That might not be wise.   Likewise, knowing that you have a set of
takeoffs on the street ride should keep your right hand at bay when
"tempted."  Without the mindset "I have the best tires, I can pull it
off" you crash less and live longer.  So, my best tire might be very
different from your best tire.  So despite this perhaps pedantic
response, the best tire might just be the one which you know, and have
the skills to use.  Skills only come from practice, they don't come from
sitting in the basement, in front of the computer, going "blah blah
blah" about tires on the internet.  I am going for a nice wet ride.

- --chuck
02 st

* discretionary  in this case means "can I live without beer and eat
only beans and rice for the next two weeks, so I can afford those back
to back track days at ______ racetrack"