[ST] St. Triumph

Thought I'd share a little Christmas joy with the story below.  Santa was
good to me this year.  I just got a 2002 black Speed Triple for a heck of a
deal and tomorrow morning I go see my 2003 Bonneville that just arrived at
the dealer.  Plans are to make the Bonnie a cafe racer style and a left side
exhaust for the S3 to show off that SSSA.  With 58K on the ST's ticker
hopefully these two additions will take a few of the miles and the old ST
live linger.  The bachelors garage will look great with the convertible
Mustang and 5 bikes.

Doug Bailey "Hound Dawg"
'97 HD Low Rider
'00 Sprint ST
'02 BMW R1150GS
'02 Speed Triple
'03 Bonneville T100

> Seen in a post from Mike Randell on the Brit-Iron list:
>
> Found this on my hard drive whilst searching for something else, sorry
> I can't credit it, my apologies to the author.
> Seems to be the right time of year....
>

> A Visit from St. Triumph
>
> 'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
> Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
> The panniers were hung by the front door with care,
> In hopes that St. Triumph soon would be there;
>
> The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
> While visions of carbon fiber danced in their heads;
> And mamma in her leathers, and I in my cap,
> Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,
>
> When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
> I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
> After a night of too many hops and barley,
> I prayed that the noise didn't come from a Harley.
>
> The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow
> Gave the luster of mid-day to objects below,
> When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
> But a miniature bike, with three cylindeer,
>
> With a little old driver, so lively and spry,
> I knew in a moment it must be St. Tri.
> More rapid than eagles his partners they came,
> And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;
>
> 'Now, LEGEND! now, T-BIRD! now, TIGER and TROPHY!
> On, ST! on RS! on, TT and BONNIE!
> To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
> Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!'
>
> As squids that before the policemen will fly,
> When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
> So up to the house-top the riders they flew,
> With the bikes full of toys, and St. Triumph too.
>
> And then, in a twinkling, I heard near the spire
> The thumping and bumping of each little tire.
> As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,
> Down the chimney St. Triumph came with a bound.
>
> He was dressed all in leather, not one lick of fleece,
> And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and grease;
> A pannier of toys he had at each side,
> And he looked like a old friend just in from a ride.
>
> His eyes -- how they twinkled! oh, what a delight!
> His cheeks were like roses, his nose, a taillight!
> His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
> And it looked like forks instead of legs below;
>
> The stump of a tailpipe he held like a bugger,
> And the smoke it encircled his head like a hugger;
> He had a broad face and a little round belly,
> That shook, when he laughed like a nasty old H-D.
>
> He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
> And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
> A wink of his eye and a twist of his wrist,
> Soon gave me to know I got what I wished;
>
> He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
> And filled all the panniers; then turned with a jerk,
> And laying his finger aside of his nose,
> And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;
>
> He sprang to his bike, to his team gave a whistle,
> And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
> But I heard him exclaim, ere he rode out of town,
> [...]

End of st-digest V2002 #718