Re: [ST] Sufficient exhaust backpressure (re: A few minor problems)

Mike,

  I hate to burst your bubble, but when you improve performance your gas mileage is going to suffer.  About the only ways to improve performance while not hurting your mileage is when you improve combustion efficency ie improved ingition, improved head design, improved fuel delivery (ie direct fuel injection - insures fuel is better atomized in the chamber), better conversion of heat energies to kinetic energies (ie ceramic coatings of heads and piston tops), reduction of friction, reduction of rotating mass.  So just sticking an exhaust pipe with less restriction will improve performance (because the engine doesn't have to work so hard to expell exhaust gases) it will also reduce your mileage(because more fuel has to be introduced because there aren't the unburnt gases from the previous cycle present).

  The stock muffler, exhaust, engine design, were chosen with four things in mind performance, mileage, reliablity, and cost. These things quite often conflict with each other, so compromises have to be made.  If what you wanted was performance you should have looked at the Daytona or Speed Triple.  Same engine as the Sprint, but with different compromises made.

  The Sprint and Honda VFR both are Sport Tourers neither does either role exceptionally well, but they do both roles reasonably well.  They are more comfortable and less thirsty than an R1,but not as fast and nimble.  They are faster and more nimble than a goldwing, but not as comfortable and and more thirsty.

At 10:49 AM 2/2/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Can someone who has a Triumph race can look at theirs and tell me what they
>see as a restriction to the exhaust flow that would support my dealer's
>statements. At this point I am committed to having them install the Triumph
>can, because I am highly interested in the performance of the bike and its
>gas mileage. I have never achieved the high mileage I had with the stock
>muffler, with any alternate muffler I have run. Maybe with this new muffler
>and a new tune I will have something close to the original mileage and maybe
>a little more performance. We shall see.
>By the way, this is the first time I have not been able to ride my bike for
>this length of time since owning this bike (4 going on 1 or 2 more weeks)
>and it is driving me nuts. There is no fault on behalf of my dealer for this
>time element, I just have had the good fortune to have a very dependable
>bike for 1 1/2 years and 23K miles.
>Mike Benzon
>Burney California
>Sunny skies awaiting