[ST] RE:Close Call this Morning

Paul,

Try finding a quiet spacious area, possibly a car park in a closed shoping area.
These tend to be well surfaced and the marks for the parking spaces provide a
conveniend grid for measuring distances.
Try acelerating to 30 MPH and then stoping in a straight line, on a good
surface, with the bike upright, using the rear brake only.
Initially use a level of braking you are comfortable with and then gradually
increase the pressure on subsequent runs until you are stoping quickly without
excessive locking of the wheels.

When you're happy with the rear brake repeat (more carefully) with the front
brake only.

Then try it with both together, applying the rear fractionally first, then the
front and releasing the front moments before you come to a complete stop. What
you're aiming for is a smooth, controlled stop in a little distance as possible.
You'll be amazed how much you can reduce your braking distances and the routine
described above gives you plenty of time to adjust to the gradually increasing
braking forces.

Once you're completely comfortable with stoping quickly you can try i from
higher speeds.

> 3. Was there anything else I could have done but didn't?

Anticipation is always better than reaction.
Ideally you would have seen the car signaling earlier, anticipated that the
driver may move into your lane and taken appropriate action, such as slowing
down, covering the horn and preparing for an emergency braking situation.

Easier said than done but I did say 'ideally'.

Glad you escaped unhurt.

Martin,
Ireland

The information transmitted in this email is intended for the
addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission,dissemination,reliance
upon or other use of, this information by persons or entities
other than the addressee is prohibited.If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material.

This message has been swept by Anti-Virus software