Re: [ST] Close Call this Morning

>From: "Just Daetrin" <daytrip90@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>so if any of you have any thoughts on the
>matter, I'm definately open to opinions.

Paul,  sounds like a #9 pucker-factor.  VERY glad to hear the outcome wasn't
more serious.  Only you can really say if you could have come to a safe stop
in the distance allowed.  But if you didn't have smoke coming off the front
tire, on the rear end starting to lift, you probably had more braking
available.  BUT, road conditions on freeways will have alot to do with how
quickly you could've stopped, most notably oil/debris on the surface.

Chris mentioned covering your front brake lever in these hi-risk situations
and I heartily concur.  Couple of other things you can practice in this
environment.

1)  Watch where the drivers are LOOKING.  People tend to go where they look
(just like target fixation).  So if you see someone in front of you looking
over into your lane or in their mirror, they probably are headed that way,
soon.

2)  Watch the angle of the front wheels of those cars.  I have saved my own
bacon numerous times by getting just that split second of warning as I see
that wheel angling my way.

3)  Never go more than about 20-30 mph faster than that next lane of
traffic.  If you were going that "speed limit" and the next lane was
virtually stopped, I think you may have been outside the safety limit for
that situation.

4)  Stay on the backroads.  It's much more fun, and safer out there. :]

STeve Duncan
'00 Sprint-ST, Black as Nite
Dallas, Tx

"you don't know that you don't know what you don't know"