RE: [ST] Comfort, was: The Screen Comparison

BTW, Linda, I'd like to suggest to you and other new owners that you try
hard to put at least 500 to 1000 miles on your bike in stock condition
before you install risers or other perceived comfort mods. I have found that
switching to a new bike, no matter what it's ergonomics are, always takes an
adjustment period for the body.

The riding posture changes of almost any new bike will invariably make you
sore in new places. It's a new bike to you, so why not give it a number of
miles to try and convince you of the value of a little weight bias towards
the hands/forearms. The increased feedback you get from the front end is
often worth *your* break-in period.

When I returned to bike ownership in 1997 after a 13 year hiatus, my first
150+ mile ride on my (stock) 1990 Suzuki Katana left me so sore at the
halfway point I debated calling for a pickup truck to come get me. But I
didn't. Stretching before riding is a key component to comfort, as someone
else has mentioned. For me, I've got some hip problems and the higher pegs
of my RS require frequent mid-ride stretching. If I take some Ibuprofen and
stretch before I ride, I'm fine for many hours, and 200 miles between stops
is a breeze.

That said, I acknowledge that not everyone can adapt to every bike even with
time. Often, a change as simple as putting another inch of foam in the seat
to move you closer to the bars can make it a whole new experince. But I like
to see if the bike's engineers have come up with something that works before
I change it. (So far, mine's still stock @ 23,500 miles, and counting.)

Ken M.
2000 RS