[ST] Close Call this Morning

Folks,
	I can't tell you all how much I enjoy this list. Paul, glad to
hear you made it through without too much incident. Unfortunately, when
I commute to work on the ST (pretty much every chance I get) I also have
to do lengthy sections on crowded interstates/beltways. For the last
four years now, I have made an effort to include the MSF advanced riders
course and at least 1 or 2 track days as part of my "early season"
riding requirements. I view this now as an integral a part of getting
ready for the new riding season (as much as servicing the bike). It
allows me to become intimately familiar with the ST's handling
characteristics in a controlled environment, plus it re-enforces all of
the little "rules" that lead to self preservation. Plus the instinctive
reactions to a crisis are greatly improved (DO THIS, DON'T DO THAT).
Just my two cents. I listen to riders here in the Atlanta metro area
that are amazed I commute 50 miles each way to and from work on the
interstates all the time. Cracks me up, actually. What I usually find
through questioning them, is that they have never had any true rider
training. Does this eliminate close calls/crisis situations? No.
However, I have not had a major "OH SH*T!" due to an unexpected
occurrence in traffic in a while. Eliminate risk? No, impossible. Learn
to manage risk? Absolutely! By the way...Cover the brake....Period. I
had a gent toss a GSX-R1000 up the road at me last Saturday in North
Georgia. Going downhill at a pretty good clip (60%), GSX-R/rider
flying/cart wheeling uphill at a foolish rate of speed (100 MPH+). I
will state that the EBC HH brake pads and familiarity with the ST were
the difference between being helpful emergency aid, or an involved
statistic. Amazing power and control, light years beyond stock pads!
Downhill "Stoppie" in an off camber steep corner under full control..so
quick my eyeballs felt like they were trying to get out of the helmet!
Sorry for the length. Enough! Soap Box Mode OFF!

Later,
Dave Smoot
99 ST

End of st-digest V2002 #74