Re: [ST] Safe Riding/Satistics

original message:
>From: "bare" <barenekd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>  (I quipped)
>4)  Stay on the backroads.  It's much more fun, and safer out there. :]

>Bare replied:
>Not really. The backroads include all the hazards known in one place.

Bare, While I did make that statement in a humorous vein (see the smiley
thingy) I will agree that *statistically* you may be correct.

That being said, I think we should distinguish between open freeways between
cities and traffic clogged/rush hour, urban expressways. There is also a
vast difference between, country backroads and congested city surface
streets.  The *statistics* lump these disparate groups together.
I know from personal experience with over a quarter million miles under my
belt that congested rush hour roads, weather freeway or surface street
present more "danger encounters per mile" than a country road or open
freeway.  And while the *statistics* may show that accidents per mile ridden
are higher on my country road, I will gladly take that over Central
Expressway or "635" here in Dallas during rush hour any day.

Most "backroads" accidents (2/3) are the result of rider error (over braking
or running wide in a curve).  I would rather take my chances with my own
abilities than pit my survival skills against unpredictable,
cellphone-talking, SUV drivin', frustrated commuters.

For a summery of the Hurt Study go here:

http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/moto/hurt-study-summary.html

A few significant "facts"

3/4 involve collision with another vehicle
Of those 2/3 involve the vehicle violating the M/C right of way (didn't
"see" the M/C), most frequent was a left turn in front of the M/C.

In single vehicle accidents, rider error was the cause 2/3 of the time.

In 92% of ALL motorcycle involved accidents, the rider was self-taught or
learned from family or friends.

The typical motorcycle accident allows less than 2 SECONDS to complete all
collision avoidance action.

Almost half of all FATAL M/C accidents involve ALCOHOL (duh)

Let's be safe out there OK??

STeve Duncan
'00 Sprint-ST, Black as Nite
Dallas, Tx

"you don't know that you don't know what you don't know"