Re: [ST] Safe Riding/Satistics

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Safe Riding/Satistics dated Tue, 05 Feb 2002
19:14:36 +0000, STeve Duncan said that ...

>SD-
>SD-
>SD-  original message:
> >From: "bare" <barenekd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> >  (I quipped)
> >4)  Stay on the backroads.  It's much more fun, and safer out there. :]
>
> >Bare replied:
> >Not really. The backroads include all the hazards known in one place.
>SD-  ________________________________________________________________________

>SD-
>SD-  Bare, While I did make that statement in a humorous vein (see the smiley
>SD-  thingy) I will agree that *statistically* you may be correct.

Perhaps not :-)

>From http://www.transtat.detr.gov.uk/facts/accident/mcycle/mcycle98.htm
"On built-up roads, over three quarters of motorcycle accidents occurred at
junctions, and almost a half at T or Y junctions. By comparison, on non
built-up roads, less than a half of motorcycle accidents occurred at junctions,
and just under a fifth at T or Y junctions."
"The motorcyclist casualty rate was higher on built-up than non built-up roads,
and lowest on motorways. Less than half of motorcycle traffic was on built-up
roads, which accounted for 72% of casualties. In contrast, just 1% of
casualties occurred on motorways, which carried 7% of traffic."

UK -> US translation - "Built up" means "In urban areas"

The first quote implies that over 50% of 'backroad' accidents were 'rider error'

The second quote means that only 27% of motorcycle accidents occur on the
"backroads" in the UK

Unfortunately the DETR don't seem to have published stats on 'whose fault it
was' in car vs motorcycle at junctions.  However, in "Motorcycle Roadcraft" it
says that where an accident involves a daylight collision with a bike one third
of all drivers claim not to have seen the bike (this rises to over 50% at
night) and of that 1/3, 75% occurred at junctions!

<snipped>
>SD-  Almost half of all FATAL M/C accidents involve ALCOHOL (duh)

Does that include rushing to the pub to get there before closing :-))

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/
Wales & SW ST Riders