Re: [ST] Safe Riding/Satistics

I think one needs to be careful about taking accident stats from the US and
trying to apply them to the UK or vice versa. There is a great difference
in the road design and driver skill between the two countries.

Things I liked about the UK:
Roundabouts instead of intersections
Passing is only done by moving to the faster lane (people don't hog the
fast lane either)
Drivers seemed less distracted by eating, drinking, talking on cell phones,
reading the newspaper, etc.

Things I didn't like about the UK:

Narrow country lanes surrounded by 6 foot high hedge-rows
Lorries parked in the middle of said roads, usually just after a blind corner.

>UK -> US translation - "Built up" means "In urban areas"
>
>The first quote implies that over 50% of 'backroad' accidents were 'rider
>error'
>
>The second quote means that only 27% of motorcycle accidents occur on the
>"backroads" in the UK

Matt Knowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707) 786-4643