RE: [ST] Info about Triumph soft panniers & tank bag

Sean,

Welcome to both this list and to Racing Yellow 2000 Sprint RS ownership. I
have the exact same bike, bought it new on 15 MARCH 2000 and still love it
after 23,800 trouble-free miles.

I have both the soft panniers (with their panel protectors), and the
original style Triumph tank bag. There is a newer, slightly larger and more
rectangular tank bag for our bike, but I've yet to see one. Other than the
odd shaped map pocket, I love the roominess of this tank bag. I can (and
often do) carry a lot of maps, a BMW tire repair kit, a large digital SLR
with flash and a lens or two, an extra pair of gloves, couple of cigars,
etc. And that's without putting the nice panniers on!

Those things are amazing. They are rated at 24 liters, but can expand to 48
(total for the 2 bags, I think). For both the panniers and the tank bag, the
rain covers are attached, stowed in a separate pocket. They are of the very
best quality, and as Al said, I don't even think about hard bags.
Alternatives? I don't see how any aftermarket item could approach the value
that the factory stuff offers. They are priced cheaper than most of the much
smaller aftermarket ones that don't even give you the nice panel protectors.
With the panniers, I have no problem packing for a 3-day trip for both me &
my son (my 12 yr old rides with me often.)

My bags (both the panniers and tank bag) have seen several torrential
downpours, and I've never had so much as a hint of dampness in any of them.
(I saw it coming each time, and had the rain covers on *before* I got hit.)
One thing I REALLY like is that I can take all the bags off and you'd have
to look very hard to find the brackets. Different story with hard bags,
especially the Givi wingrack stuff.

You'd have no regrets about getting the best fitting goods.

Best to you,

Ken M.

From: Sean Baumann

>Hello!  I've decided to buy a used 2000 Sprint RS in yellow, I already love
it!  I plan to use this bike for commuting to work every now and then.  It
would make the trip much easier if I had some storage for things like
notebooks, books, cell phone, shoes, etc.  Can anyone comment on their
experiences with the triumph soft panniers and/or the tank bag?  How much
can they hold?  Are they of good quality for the price?  Any alternatives I
should consider?<

End of st-digest V2002 #77