[ST] 2nd First Ride

Hello Everyone,

I'll stop lurking now and join in.  I got a demo 2001 ST in BRG in
mid-January.  What a wonderful bike!  Unfortunately, while riding to
work on January 24th a car driver who "didn't see me" made a mid-block
left turn into me.  The bike was totaled, and I've got major bruises but
I'm basically OK. Fortunately, many witnesses, including another
motorcylist rushed to my aid and gave me their names to use as
witnesses.  The car driver admitted liability (he said he didn't see me
until "I was on the ground").  What can you do?
First, I was wearing protective padded clothing.  Second, I saw him,
slowed, and thought it was safe to continue before he turned into me.
At that point, I was going really slowly so I didn't bounce too far.  I
would have parked at the end of the block anyway so I wasn't going fast.
  Perhaps I could have used my horn; I already had my brights on.

Anyway yesterday, I picked up a brand new 2001 BRG ST from the dealer,
Cal BMW/Triumph in Mountainview, CA.  Same place I got the first one.
They made me a great deal and I got a second $500 clothing allowance.
The deals on 2001s are so great, I don't see much of an advantage in
getting a 2002.  I had a 50 mile ride back home to San Francisco, and
even at break-in rpms, it felt great.  Several riders passed me on
Skyline Blvd., but at least they waved politely.  Today is a beautiful
day for another ride.

This is a great group.  Hope nobody minds the long message.

John