Re: [ST] RE:In some states..VA, CT, are the only ones I can think of off the top

There are several States in which it is legal to own a radar detector
(constitutional rights, freedom of the airwaves) BUT it is illegal use such
device in the commission of a crime (i.e. speeding). This is why many of us
try to conceal the device.  Even it is not "technically" illegal, your odds
of talking your way out of, or even reducing the cited speed, diminish
dramatically if a detector is spotted.

Case in point.  I was flying down N. Central Expressway one Sat. morning
last year on my up to Arkansas. It was about 7:30 am, traffic was light.
Suddenly my "8500" went BLAAAAAAAAAAPP, sheite, instant on radar (no there
is no warning, unless you have picked it up from the LFO hitting cars ahead
of you).  Damn I was doing about 85 in a 60.  I immediately started to pull
over, even before the LEO could get off the service road and on the freeway
(lights flashing, he had been up on an overpass).  He walked up all stern
and started talking.  I pointed to my helmet and mentioned earplugs, so he
waited (and calmed a little I think).  As soon as I got my helmet off I
began to "explain" that I knew I was speeding, but I was just trying to put
some distance between me and a gaggle of cars that had surrounded me and
were putting my life in danger.  I explained that it made me very nervous to
be on the highway with cars and trucks on every side, and that one car
seemed to be "pacing" me for several miles and I just wanted to put some
distance, you know a safety cushion.  He went back to his car, checked me
out (I was "relatively" clean).  I think he also took note of my graying
hair (he was maybe 35), as well as the bike with obvious "touring" set-up
(hardbags, tankbag, tailpack) and surmised that I was not a "squid",
so..........bottom line he said, "You know I clocked you at 87 in a 60, I
never give a warning for anything above 15 over but I your case I will make
an exception.  But you really should be more careful and SLOW DOWN".  I
thanked him profusely and headed on my way.  The radar detector was mounted
inside my faring, below the headlight.  Had it been out in the open, say, on
my tankbag or a handlebar mount, I doubt he would have been so
conciliatory..........

STeve Duncan
'00 Sprint-ST, Black as Nite
Dallas, Tx

"you don't know that you don't know what you don't know"