[ST] fuel connector leak question

Hey all.  I had my fuel sender replaced in January.  However, I'm still
barely squeaking out 40mpg (over a number of tanks of gas now) and the
garage still smells like gas when I get home from a ride.

I noticed that when I have the seat off the bike, you can smell gas from
the rear of the tank.  So, tonight I pulled the rear bodywork off the
bike tonight and took a peak under the gas tank and did some sniffing
around (literally).  From what my schnozz is telling me, one of the
quick-connectors there (see my 2 pictures I'm uploading) is the culprit.

I've heard of an o-ring in a connector getting torn and leaking, but I'm
not sure it's actually leaking at the quick-connection.  There's a stain
where the base of the connector screws into the brass plate on the side
of the tank.  I'm wondering if there's an o-ring inside there too, or if
anyone's seen that piece leak?

Anyway, I want to remove the quick connector and check that o-ring
first, but do I need to depressurize the system?  If so, how?  Is there
a fuel pump fuse or relay I can pull and then run the engine till it
uses up the available fuel in the lines?

And if I decide to try and pull that base piece out of the brass plate,
is fuel going to come pouring out of the tank?

Oh, I did run the bike with the bodywork off it, but didn't see any fuel
seepage or leaks at that spot, but the odor seemed to get stronger.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)