Re: [ST] Front jack

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 07:06:41AM -0800, Your Buddy Rich wrote:
> --- Keith Tynan <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > ... a 41.5 cm piece of
> > wood underneath the
> > crankcase lug at the front left-hand corner of the
> > engine would do the
> > trick. Brace it at the base so that it won't slip,
> > and this, together with
> > the centre-stand makes for a sturdy jack. Cheap too!
>
> I have a new front tire that needs mounting, so I too
> am pondering such things lately.  My '78 Bonneville
> would balance nicely on the centerstand if either
> wheel was removed, but alas, I don't believe the ST
> will do the same.
>
> Since I have a gravel driveway, for chain lubrication
> and adjustment chores, I put the bike on the center
> stand on a 10-foot-long (3.? meter) piece of 2" by 12"
> board (which also doubles as a bike-loading ramp).
> This stops the stand from sinking into the gravel. My
> plan is to put the bike on the centerstand, and anchor
> the rear end to the board with some tie-down straps.
> That should leave the front in the air, no?
>
> Seems more secure than the prop-it-up method.
>
> Rich

What I did when I had to get a new front tire was to pull the bodypanels
off, which I've done so many times that it's not a big deal anymore,
and with the bike on the centerstand have someone push down on the rear
of the bike to raise the front in the air.  Then I was able to slide
two adjustable jackstands under an edge or lip on each side of the
crankcase.  A very redneck solution and it depends on having the perfect
height stands, but it worked.

On my previous bike (83 nighthawk), I would just put a 60 pound bag or
two of quickrete on the pillion seat, which is even less stable and more
rednecked than the jackstand solution.

The only reason I resorted to the jackstand method this time:  I didn't
have any quikrete on hand.

Laters,
Brian
- --