Re: [ST] fuel connector leak question

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 08:38:10AM -0500, Erik Miner wrote:
> I had the exact same thing happen. If fact on mine it wouldn't do it
> until the tank was pressurized.
> Anyway  the fitting(s) that thread into the tank need to be replaced.
> Also when my dealer first did mine it still leaked.. the fix was
> Teflon tape on the threads so that the fitting could be turned in
> tighter (TOA's idea). If I recall it was the fitting more towards the
> rear, and I could actually see the reddish colored sealant around the
> fitting disintegrating from the gas. Mine was fixed about a year ago
> and has been fine since but it was really frustrating tracking it
> down and getting it fixed right.
>
> Erik

Erik, thanks for the info.  I wonder if connector replacement is
necessary at all (since you say the first time it was replaced it didn't
fix it)?  Maybe a nickel's worth of teflon tape will do the trick.  I
don't really trust my local dealer to fix it, since their mechanic
was in there to do the fuel sender replacement and he didn't do anything
about this glaring spot at the time.  I'm sure if I go back in and
point it out, they'll look at it, maybe fix it (I give them about a 1/3
chance), and charge me another $90.

Anyway, I pulled the connector, and the o-ring looks good.  After
loosening the tank and raising the back of it up some, I can see weepage
from around that fitting all down around toward the bottom of the tank.
I'm thinking I might just put some teflon tape on the threads of that
fitting myself and see what happens.

Laters,
Brian
- --