Re: [ST] You're not a target, they can't even see you!

- --- MCH & Little Salem <LittleSalem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is secondhand knowledge, hearsay even, because
> I'm relating from memory
> a news magazine report read sometime in the recent
> past.

Before I go on about reading something similar, let me
say that I think not seeing a motorcyclist is a cheap
cop-out (no pun intended when you read below).  If
they convince themselves they didnt see you, even if
they REALLY did, then they actually may not remember
seeing you...dont remember the psych term for that.

Also, many non-motorcyclists have a negative
perception of motorcycles and those who ride them.
Some even are aggressive toward motorcyclists.  I've
been told this by someone I'd just met who didnt
realize I owned/rode a motorcycle.  His words were
something along the lines of, "I hate motorcycles,
man.  I mean, dirt bikes are cool, but motorcycles
dont belong on the road, so I try to make then fell
unwanted."  He had an ashamed look on his face when I
told him that I ride.  I was, and still am,  ashamed
to be part of the same race as someone who could take
such brutal action.

ANYWAY...I read a similar study about motorcyclist
visibility as the original poster.  The 'test' was
more practical than the one sited in the original
message, though.

IIRC, it was performed in New Zealand, Australia - not
sure, just not in the USA.

The study involved 3 motorcyclists.  One of them was
riding a dark-colored cruiser (black or navy blue or
something) wearing the traditional Johnny Cash look of
black everything.

The second was riding a sports bike (red or yellow or
something) or sport tourer, wearing what one would
normally see someone riding such a bike, like a
Aerostitch jacket or suit or something that somewhet
matches the bike...nothing too flashy though.

The third was riding a touring bike painted to look
like the local police and was wearing a helmet and
gear that would resemble a police officer.  Nowhere,
due to laws, on the bike or gear was the word
'Police'.

In the study they noticed that two of the three
motorcyclists got crowded out of a lane or were
otherwise, at least temporarily, 'invisible'.  I'll
let you guess which one did not get their space
invaded.

I do everything I can to make sure I'm seen, I just
wish it worked.