[ST] Electrical wisdom?

Greetings,
    I've been reading the ST-digest for a couple months and I want to thank
the contributors who make a serious attempt to provide useful information on
their experience / knowledge of the bike. The windscreen comparison was
excellent.
    I have a '00 ST that doesn't seem to be looking forward to Spring. It's
enjoyed two months of storage in a nice warm basement and doesn't want to
wake up. I installed the freshly charged battery and tried to start the bike
yesterday. The lights, instruments and signals all work fine until I press
the starter button. Something is shorting out. I get some clicks from a
relay switch behind the instruments, the headlights go dim and the starter
motor doesn't operate. The fuses are all good. When I turn the key I get the
whirrs and whizzes of the fuel pump starting and all the lights and
indicators seem fine. When I turn off the key, after a pause of a couple
seconds, I hear a single click coming from the area where the starter relay
is. Is this an indicator that the starter relay is working or should it be
the first place I start looking for problems? I only had an hour to
investigate yesterday and got nowhere. I wiggled the wires to the starter
relay and sidestand switch with no effect. While in storage, I pulled the
side fairings off the bike to clean the motor. Are there any wires or
connections that are vulnerable and might have been affected?
    My "first" car was English, a Morris Minor 1000 convertible. I used to
solve electrical problems in the car by driving through a large puddle. My
"current" English car is a '74 Lotus Europa. Most electrical problems are a
result of it's being mostly plastic and are excused because it's a Lotus.
But the Triumph is modern tech and I'd hoped for an easier time... I do have
manuals ( factory & Haynes ) to help in my investigation. Any suggestions,
similar problems or shared electrical wisdom?
Cheers,
Scott Alexander
Rochester, NY, USA
blue "00 ST