Re: [ST] Brake question

At 06:31 PM 10/02/02 -0800, you wrote:
>My 99 ST seems to have lost it's brake feel. When I go to apply the front
>brakes, they are very grabby and lockup easily.

Hi Joanna,

Sounds like a problem with the pads and/or discs rather than a hydraulic
problem. Simple way to tell is to remove the old pads (literally a
five-minute job), clean up the discs with a suitable cleaning fluid (a
cloth dipped in Varsol or similar) to remove any grease or old pad
material, and install new Triumph pads. They're not cheap, but they made a
dramatic improvement to my braking effectiveness. BTW - my old pads lasted
25,000km (15,000 miles)

Other potential problems might be either warped discs, a floating disc
that's got stuck, or a seized caliper. If the last, you could rebuild the
calipers, but only if you know what you're doing...

HTH,

Robert "Sheep Dawg" Smith
'00 ST Sapphire
Vancouver, BC