Oil consuption

Hi all,

I just did my bike's first oil change at 16K miles. Uh, no...it's not what
you thin!. This is just the first time I'VE changed it. :)

After pouring the 4 quarts of new oil in, I poured the old oil into the now
empty bottles. I was able to fill only 1 bottle and 3/4 of another. The
bike has 4K miles since the last oil change. Two thousand early, I know. I
was supposed to do the change about 2 months ago before winter,
not when spring is upon me.

Is this normal oil consumption for 4K miles? I had warmed the bike up prior
to draining so it would flow good and let it drain completely.

Also, if anyone isn't convinced yet, the stupid sight glass is utterly
useless. The sight glass showed oil up to the full line immediately after
pouring four quarts in with the bike on the centerstand on level pavement.
However, hardly any showed after turning the bike on, as is normal. I know
there was four quarts in there, but if you were to believe the sight glass,
you'd think it was a quart low.

Chris "Snow Dawg" Strizver