RE: [ST] Clutches

Triumph would actually have to move *back* to hydraulic clutches, as that's
what they used on the T309 models.

I have an RS, and one thing I did to get my clutch working much easier was
to switch to using a cable from the ST. I had noticed that the original
photos of the RS, the ones in Triumph's parts & accessories catalog on their
web site, showed a cable that has a straight path at the motor end. On my
bike, as all RS's I've ever seen do, the cable has the steel "elbow" down at
that end rather than at the handlebar. That steel elbow routed the cable up
above the engine, then back down before heading to the handlebar. All just
to keep the cable out of view in the Swiss Cheese-like fairing. BS! I
switched, and now my black cable can seen in the darkened openings. Big
deal.

Whichever bike you own, it behooves you to carefully check the routing. Any
tight bends really add a lot of effort at the lever. Another tip is to lube
the cable. DO NOT use regular cable lube though, as it's a petroleum based
product and is not compatible with the lining (Teflon?) of the cable
housing. It cakes up eventually, and makes the cable more restrictive rather
than less so. I substituted with silicone spray, and the result is amazing.

BTW, can anyone confirm the rumour about a finishing insert for the RS
cockpit? I'd love to borrow one and get a copy made out of carbon fiber. ;-)

Ken M.
2000 RS