[ST] Misc. New RS Stuff

  The clutch on my previous T. Bird Sport was hydraulic, but I don't
think that it was any better than the one on the RS.  BTW, the dealer
made sure to let me now that the cable had been replaced under recall,
before he even delivered the bike.  This was without my even mentioning
it, so kudos to Mickey at O.C. Triumph.  This is the cable with the
extra bends in it, but my clutch feels fine to me.
  Although the suspension on the T. Bird Sport had more adjustability
than the one on the RS, I don't think that the suspension was
necessarily better.  I notice that the RS is much more composed on the
freeway (less pogoing), but feels stiffer in the twisties, and
definitely dives less under braking.
  Speaking of braking, the RS is absolutely amazing.  I was cruising at
70 MPH today when a cage in the lane to my right was suspicious.
Nothing that you could put a finger on, but I have been riding long
enough to have a "feel" for when to be wary of a cage.  Call it rider's
intuition.  I covered the brake with two fingers, and started passing
with caution, when they changed lanes into me without warning.  With
just two fingers, and from 70 MPH, I braked until I could barely hear
the front tire start to squeal, and held it at impending lockup in
complete control.  Needless to say, I am very impressed.
  And, yes, I did have over 100 miles on the bike by then, so I was not
violating the 3500 RPM rule.  I can now go to 5000 RPM, and the power
and torque are all that I had hoped they would be.  Again, very
impressive.  The transmission is much smoother already.
  Thanks to everyone's input on the list that helped me to make such a
wise buying decision.  I'll stop glowing about the bike now, as I know
that I am preaching to the choir.
  BTW, I have a used Ventura rack system for a T. Bird Sport available,
if anyone knows of an interested party.
  Happy Sprinting to all.

Wes Kendall

End of st-digest V2002 #99