RE: [ST] Brake question

At 07:50 PM 18/02/02 +0000, Dave Mc wrote:

>Bike has the brakes sorted with new Calliper and Cylinder seals 3 months/500
>miles ago. Front LH disc warps so bad it's visibly dished.

This is b*ll*cks. Don't they warranty their work? Three months/500 miles is
not long enough for a new problem to have developed IF they did the job
properly in the first place. Any independent arbiter would agree. The fact
that they don't know why there's a problem is not a reason why they
shouldn't fix it. They just don't want to pay for it, and they're trying it on.

Your argument is correct and clear cut. If you caused the problem, there
would be damage to both discs.

Is it a Triumph dealership? If so, I would let Triumph know if you don't
get satisfaction.

Chris Stritzver wrote:

there was a total of 1 3/4 quarts of used oil from my bike. I
called my dealer who said that up to a quart can be trapped inside the
engine and not to worry about it.

That would still make only 2 3/4 quarts, plus the content of the filter,
maybe 1/4 quart at most--total 3 quarts where there should be 4.

Was the oil warm when you drained the sump?  Bike on level ground? Did you
remove the drain plug or just the filter?

Don't forget that the oil level should be checked with the bike upright on
its wheels on level ground, not on the center stand. It's possible that the
last person to change the oil underfilled it, but even so, I'd be very
fanatical about checking the oil level daily from now on in case you have a
leak or an oil usage problem.

I would drain the oil and filter again, fit a new filter and refill to the
middle of the sight level (don't just add four quarts and assume it's
right) with the correct grade of oil, then run the bike as normal--but
checking the oil level before each run.

Hope this helps.

Robert "Sheep Dawg" Smith
'00 ST