[ST] RE: st-digest V2002 #101

Boy, I'd be really leery about using the site glass as a guide to putting
the correct volume of oil in your bike. You say the site glass should be
checked with the bike upright on its tires on level ground--not on the
centerstand. How accurate can this be? How can you tell if it's level? You'd
get a different reading every time. As far as I can tell, the bike is
essentially level when on the centerstand. As such, the site glass SHOULD
work with the bike on the centerstand, but it doesn't.

I think the only way to truly know how much oil is in the bike is to drain
it.

- - -Chris

I would say that if the sight glas is only showing a bit at the bottom, it's
probably residual oil that's just sitting there that won't drain down. I
check mine on a paddock stand and I use the lines to determine how much oil
is in it. It comes back from the shop showing near full on the sight glass
after an oil change, so it's gotta be close. If it's below the sight, I'm
not surprised that it's only got a 1-3/4 qt left! Once it's below the glass,
you don't have a clue. I wouldn't buy that crap about a quart not draining
out, either. Regardless about how much you put in, raise the level at least
to mid level on the glass so you can see for sure where it is. When you
check it, let the bike stand for a few minutes after shutting the engine off
so the oil can drain down and show the true level. I usually check mine in
the morning before start up so I'm sure all of it has drained down.
Bare