[ST] Test the Phoenix Jacket? - Done that!

"rmasiak" <rmasiak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Seems like the majority is recommending the Joe Rocket Phoenix.  I saw one
at my dealer and tried it on.  Seems flimsy, and the foam inserts move
around too much.  What if you do end up kissing pavement and those foam
inserts do slide around, doesn't seem like much protection to me."

"I hate to ask this but has anyone actually put the jacket to a crash test?"
"If so how did it do?"
Well, like the TV commercial from years ago said, "We've done the hard work,
so you don't have to!"

"Yes", I have gone down in the Phoenix jacket and "yes" it worked well.  I
went down on my left side at about 10 mph.  Sounds slow but my orthopedic
surgeon theorizes that if I had been going a little faster the force of
impact would have been more of a shearing force along the shoulder instead
of direct force into the shoulder and my injuries would have been minimized.
  In any case, because of the way my accident occurred, the entire force was
passed directly into the shoulder joint.  The absorbing power of the armor
was put to the test and passed.  I did suffer a separated shoulder, but
without the armor my doctor felt the blow would have compressed the shoulder
joint and broken my collarbone.  Not being a motorcyclist himself, he had no
idea armored jackets existed until I showed him mine.  After examining me
and the jacket, he flat out told me the jacket greatly minimized my
injuries.

Motorcycle consumer news solicited comments on the crashworthiness of this
jacket back in November 2001.  In the January 2002 issue they remarked that
every rider who had replied, ". . . had nothing but praise for the way the
jacket held together and protected them."

I have yet to meet anyone who has this jacket who has been disappointed with
it.  It was the best $129.00 I ever spent!

I don't work for Joe Rocket nor do I have any association with the company.
But I trust their stuff!  (I was wearing a pair of their gloves too).

Manuel Gonzalez
2001 BRG ST