Re: [ST] More Tire Questions for Z-4's

Rick Hartwick Wrote:
>but their rounded profile made the slow turning Trophy
>even slower.  Changing to 205's on that bike re-vitalized
>the handling.

This really varies from bike to bike.  I loved the D205s on my Honda
CBR1000F as they really did help with the turn-in and made it turn
noticeably easier.  I hate the D205s on my Honda ST1100 though, even though
the same logic should hold true.  However, on the ST1100, the Z4s just feel
better, as the D205s are (like you said) too twitchy.  On the 1000F, the
Z4s were OK but made the bike feel heavy, and the D205s were great and
created the illusion that I wasn't riding a bike that weighed 580 LBS.
Overall, this logic doesn't make sense to me since the ST1100 is about 100
LBS heavier than the CBR1000F, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

>The biggest complaint I have on the 205's is their
>straight-line (in)stability.

Again, this didn't bother me on the 1000F, but I do notice it on the
ST1100, and also on the VFR that was shod with D205s that I rode.  My guess
is that this is caused by their over-triangularity...if that's a word.

I do not notice the highway issue on the Sprint with Z4s, but I never did
try a set of D205s on the Sprint.  With my experience on the ST1100 and my
growing fondness for Metzler MEZ4s, I went right to those and discarded the
crappy BT57s that came stock on the Sprint, and I've never looked back.
Someone else made a comment about running a Z3 front and a Z4 rear, which I
am going to try next time.  I have seen fantastic results of this combo on
a Honda VFR and I'm hoping that the same will hold true for the Triumph
VF...I mean Sprint ST.  ;-) YMMV.

Tad Gralewski   tad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
01 Triumph Sprint ST - Allison
95 ST1100 - STress-Reliever  STOC #1539
77 GS750 - The Blue Dolphin
93 CBR1000F - The Black Whale - R.I.P. (rebuild in progress)
http://tad.gralewski.com
The best things in life that you find are
those things you never went looking for. - RTG