[ST] Frozen Brain

Tom - Yes you are correct that the boot sole would still be 13 degrees, my
brain was still frozen from this mornings ride to work, 23 degrees, wohoo, a
heat wave.  It may also be due to two more years of college "enjoyment"
after I had my thermodynamics class and subsequently lost those brain cells.
Electric clothes?  Yes, sarcasm, I haven't given in to electrifying my body
yet.  The closest I've come was a girlfriend threatening to throw her hair
dryer into my shower once.

Paul - again, yes the sole would still be 13 degrees.  Wind chill is related
to the loss of heat from the skin and the subsequent loss of heat from the
brain that is below the skin.  Depending on which source you use there will
be a variation in wind chill factor and you will find arguments over the
different equations to calculate it.  The web site I found this morning
showed about -38.  Once I even found one source that said that above 40 mph
there was no appreciable decrease in the wind chill "temperature".  I'd like
to take that person on a motorcycle ride at 70 mph and have him tell me he
isn't any colder than he was at 40 mph.

Charlie - I'll agree that road temperature and tire temperature will affect
traction, but since I assumed Dave had street tires that were not balding
and he indicated that he saw no road conditions that may have caused his
slide and that he wasn't trying to take a 10 mph curve at 40 and any other
disclaimers I reserve the right to take at a later date, I'd doubt that 35
degrees is cold enough to make a street tire lose traction.  I ride through
plenty of subfreezing temps all winter and have never had a slip that wasn't
gravel/ice related but I know not to test the tires as much as I do in the
summer.

But then, what do I know, I ride unelectrified (grips the exception) and
don't have enough sense to quite riding til there's a minus sign in front of
the temperature.

2002 New Year's Resolution #1, make comments on the ST list that get a
response.  Check.  Now I can go back to lurking for another year.

Doug Bailey "Hound Dawg"