Re: [ST] Battery Tender

I think a standard battery tender only puts out an amp.  (The BT+ is (I
think) 1.5 A.)  So 13 hours is just an input of 13 A-H into the
battery.  I'd say it's not a good sign, but it may not mean too much
either.  I'd say let it run a couple of days - you have nothing to lose.

> 2) In the instructions it says to attach the negative/ground lead to part of
> the frame or grounded part of the engine.  Not a problem on the car, but
> what about on the bike?  Where do you guys attach the negative/ground lead
> from the battery tender to the bike?

They want you to connect the plus first, as with no ground connected up
you can touch the frame, etc. and generally not cause a short.  They ask
you to connect the ground up to the frame so that you complete the
charging circuit at a place away from the battery.  This is because they
are concerned that the connection may cause a spark, and if you battery
had outgassed a lot of hydrogen from previous charging, then you might
have a "bad event".

Given that the BT is low current, doesn't spark in my experience (you
can short the cables with no bad effect), bike batteries are small with
commensurate lesser outgassing volumes, I don't heavily charge the
battery before connecting it up again, and my flair for life :-), I just
hook the bloody thing up to the battery's gound terminal.  YMMV, but
I've been doing this for the last 30 yrs or so...

mj