Re: [ST] Arai phone/internet sales policy

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Philip Las Gourgues wrote:

> I can understand you wanting to take every precaution with your head but of
> all the motorbike accidents you're seen or heard about have you ever known a
> helmet to suffer shell failure to a large enough degree to allow injury? I
> haven't so I think the whole thing is pretty academic really. As long as the
> internal foam hasn't deteriorated and can absorb some of the impact and the
> shell is strong enough to survive the initial impact and protect the foam
> then I can't see that there's much more any helmet can do for you. By all
> means replace them every couple of years or if it ever gets dropped if you
> feel the need but I only replace mine when the comfort lining compresses and
> the helmet is no longer comfortable (usually every five years or so). That's
> just my way of looking at it anyway, YMMV.

Phil,

You know, I would tend to agree that there seem to be few of the
transition type accidents. From my limited memory and experience it
would seem that all the accidents I have heard of fall into two
accounts, the helmet provided excellent abrasion resistance for the
head/face and absorbed the minour bump quite well, or, the rather less
tastefull, I am amazed the head is still attached. Every accident that I
have head of where head/neck trama was a major factor, I don't think any
helmet could have saved the persons life.

Of course except for Fran (can't recall the last name), but the official
blame for her passing away would have to fall on the hands of the
quality of health on this continent (NA), not our ability, just the
quality.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 7 months old, 13,700 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500