Re: [ST] Arai phone/internet sales policy

Philip Las Gourgues wrote:

> I can understand you wanting to take every precaution with your head but
of
> all the motorbike accidents you're seen or heard about have you ever known
> helmet to suffer shell failure to a large enough degree to allow injury? I
> haven't so I think the whole thing is pretty academic really. As long as
the
> internal foam hasn't deteriorated and can absorb some of the impact and
the
> shell is strong enough to survive the initial impact and protect the foam
> then I can't see that there's much more any helmet can do for you.

Not a motorbike accident, but I have seen a substantial hole in a climbing
helmet shell after my girlfriend fell 20-30 feet and bounced off the back of
her head.  The helmet was not one of the modern lightweight plastic climbing
helmets - it was one of the old, heavy fibreglass Joe Brown ones which
provide something like the same protection as a motorbike helmet.  It was in
pristine condition before the fall and had a one inch hole afterwards.  If
it had previously been weakened, the helmet might well have split.  I expect
that falling off a motorbike and hitting a lamppost or sidewalk kerb at
30mph would do about the same damage to a helmet.

She got up and walked away with only a broken collarbone, if you wondered!

Neil
Following STeve's example of irrelevant quotes,
"My ST is in Scotland and I'm in the USA, what the heck am I doing reading a
motorbike list?"