Re: [ST] Electric vests

The ST''s accessory plug is fused for 10 amps. As stated before, the ST's
alternator is capable of 40 amps. I did the breakdown once before, but kinda
don't feel like it right now....you can figure out pretty close what the
bike itself draws. Simply find the wattage of each light that can be on
simultaneously, add them up and divide by 12 (volts). This is the current
the bike uses. It came out to be about 10 amps, I think. That leaves you
with 30 amp to play with. Multiply that by 75% to give yourself a safety
cushion for things not considered, and your left with 22.5 amps to play
with. If you and your pillion have too many toys and your getting into your
safety margin, you don't need to get rid of them. Simply turn one off while
another is on. One toy you can get to help you monitor this is one of them
Garmin III+ GPS's. They have a built in voltage regulator and one display
you can have is the supply voltage. If that drops below 12V, turn something
off.

As far as making your own splitter, why not just make the entire vest as
well? It IS pretty easy to do and the end product is just as good and
reliable (IMO) as anything you can buy. I made my Triumph jacket liner
electric and it works great. I'll repost my write-up if anyone's still
interested.

One last note...remember that the stock accessory outlet is fused for only
10 amps. Hardwire, with a fused line, any toys that goes beyond that. Or,
install another outlet somewhere. I installed an extra outlet in the black
plastic below the cockpit/speedo area for my GPS. Nothing like drilling into
a $300 piece of plastic, huh?

blah, blah, blah...You'd think I could go on forever!

Chris "Snow Dawg" Strizver