Re: [ST] Garmin GPS lll plus

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Garmin GPS lll plus dated Sun, 13 Jan 2002
12:58:16 -0600, Jeff Jenkins said that ...

<snipped>
>JJ-  though I rarely use it.  I had it mounted on my bikes and my car for a
>JJ-  while, with and without laptop, and found that it was more of a nuisance
>JJ-  and a definate DANGER to use while driving.  It's just not the sort of
>JJ-  thing you can take a quick glance at and have much info permeate the
>JJ-  grey matter.

Depends how you use it.

I totally agree that "map view" + bike + fast = disaster as the time required
to view and assimilate the information displayed is not compatible with safe
riding.

However, with the view I have described, namely the waypoint name, small
compass, distance to waypoint and current speed, then there is every chance of
getting the information you need, at a glance, safely.
http://www.sprint-st.org/images/gps_tv_web.jpg

It does require pre-planning in considerable detail.  I pre-plan weeks in
advance for tours I have undertaken (much to the irritation of my family) and
use a system for naming the waypoints which indicates the action needed at that
point. eg nnn-TL where nnn is a sequential number (the first digit being the
day of the tour) and the last two letter indicating a change of direction ie
Turn Left.

This way a quick glance at the GPS will reveal the distance to the next
waypoint and the change of course I need to make - at the same time I have an
accurate (unlike the OEM speedo) estimate of my speed (in KPH if I am on the
European continent).

I have found this works well for me and have used it extensively.

HTH

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/