[ST] dropped helmets

"You know, I would tend to agree that there seem to be few of the
transition type accidents. From my limited memory and experience it
would seem that all the accidents I have heard of fall into two
accounts, the helmet provided excellent abrasion resistance for the
head/face and absorbed the minour bump quite well, or, the rather less
tastefull, I am amazed the head is still attached. Every accident that I
have head of where head/neck trama was a major factor, I don't think any
helmet could have saved the persons life."

A couple of years ago, I went straight over the bars on my Thunderace at
about 60mph and landed square on the top of my head. I was wearing an AGV
helmet and it suffered deep abrasions on top and down the left rear as my
head rotated forward and to the right. The helmet pushed my right collarbone
out of the socket at the shoulder. The shell remained intact, though.The
compression force up my spine shortened me about 1". that helmet absolutely
saved my life! The first thought I had when I hit the ground was, "Am I dead
yet?"  Then I opened an eye to see where I was going and wondered how badly
whatever I hit was going to make me hurt. As it turned, out, I didn't hit
anything else and my total injuries were the collarbone and a broken bone to
the little finger in my left hand. I didn't suffer anything painful in the
neck and spine compression . The Yamaha was totalled. I got up and rode with
my buddy 60 miles back home. I let my wife take me to the hospital for the
hand and shoulder.
I guess hte whole point is that there is no way I'd ride without a fullface
helmet, and these modern ones will take a beating. The AGV had been dropped
a few times. I did crack a Shoei about 15 years ago by just dropping it. I
think the new materials are much better.