Re: [ST] Oil Choices

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, William Sanders wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Recieved today from Lilley's oil filters and oil filter wrench for my '01
> ST. Ordered them online 'cuz nearest dealer is 100 miles away, and I wish to
> do as much scheduled maintenance as I'm capable of.  Question.  I'm in USA,
> and after checking local Wal-Mart and Advance Auto and finding Mobil-1 for
> same price, which grade (if any) of this oil do you have experience with in
> the ST, and it seems to work fine? (Clutch and Transmission considerations)
> I think I've seen 15-50w, or possibly something close to that. Or am I
> making a big mistake in not using Triumph specific Mobil-1? I've only about
> 1300 miles on my new bike, and use it for short trips (to work) and weekend
> recreation (sport riding).

Hmmm, I am in the process of supporting our supporter as well. I am also
getting the tank extension kit so I can easily sync the throttle bodies.

As far as 15w50 mobile 1, on the ZX many of the Ninjaphiles only use
15W50 mobile 1 from walmart/sams (price does vary) with 10,000's of
miles with no problems. mobile 1 5w and 10w have friction modifiers,
where the 15w DOES not, so it is safe on clutches.

Personally it is the oil that will be gracing my ST from now on.

I as well would like to do the majority of the service on my bike. If I
get a second bike it will be of the litre sport bike class, and thus I
am finally going to take the plunge and get a static balancer and some
tire irons. I still have a couple of rims/tyres from the 6e to practice
on.

When you add up the savings on the labor, tire cost, and the opportunity
cost (going to the dealer), spending an hour or 2 sunday afternoon replacing
rubber is quite cost effective.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 10 months old, 14,800 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500