[ST] Ride Report (long) Sunset #s 16,986 & 16,987

(I'm sorry this is rather long, but there was magic in the air last
week-end.  Just hit delete if you don't like riding but only like the tekkie
stuff. <G> )

hard numbers:
total on the road time:  18 hrs 45 min
total mileage:  998
day 1:  488 miles/ 9hrs 15min
day 2:  510 miles/ 9hrs 30min

Sunsets, I love'em.  A day's ride that doesn't include a sunset seems
somehow incomplete.  That time just before and after is my favorite riding
time.  I know it's prime "critter time", it's a calculated risk, just like
riding itself.  But oh, what a glorious time of day, watching the sky and
clouds turn from yellow to orange, then flaming red and finally deep purple
before fading to gray.  The sunset happens quickly, like flipping a switch
but the twilight seems to go on forever with no clear distinction when
"night" officially begins.  It is a time of great reflection for me and I
got two really good ones this past weekend.

Saturday morning I was preparing for a day ride with some local riding
buddies.  I had noted to them that I might want to do an "overniter" with no
destination set.  A couple of them had expressed an interest so I packed for
the possibility.  As I headed to the designated meeting spot, I was overcome
by the intense desire to "head for the hills" (Arkansas of course).  When I
arrived Jack Hays was there on his red Sprint, followed quickly by David
Viosca on his lime green Moto-Guzzi V-11 Sport, then Tom Emberson/ British
Racing Green Sprint, then Ryan on a Honda F-4, and finally Brian on his
Black ST.  They began discussing possible day routes when I couldn't take it
any longer.  "I'm off for the Ozarks, anyone wanna tag along?"  Everyone
else seemed to need to stay in town so I bid farewell and hit the road.

Getting an 11:30 start for a 500-mile run is not the best of timing, but I
was determined to be on Charlie's doorstep before the ride was done.  Took a
semi-direct route up thur Oklahoma mixing in some of  my favorite twisties
in the Kiamichi range then headed up 540 in Arkansas from Ft. Smith towards
Springdale.  This is where the first sunset began to work it's magic on me.
Watching that big orange ball drop behind the Boston Mountains was, well,
inspiring.  I was still a good 200 miles from my destination, and getting
cold, but I was on a mission.  Winding across the back mountain roads in
northern Arkansas, at night, is a challenge.  You do not try and set any
speed records.  This is one of the few times I enjoy having a car in front
of me as they provide additional lighting.  I putted along at just the speed
limit and enjoyed the clear/cold mountain air.  And guess what?  There are
"stars" up there!  You forget they exist in a city like Dallas.  A glorious
evening.  And cold, 38 degrees is cold, but the electrics saved the day, I
am still stunned by the utility of this jacket liner.  Now all I need is the
gloves and socks and I'll be good down into the teens, easy.

Finally rolled into Bull Shoals about 8:30 and found my friend Charlie's
hovel (nice place, really) and rode around in front hoping he would come out
and play.  No movement, so I went up and rapped on the door.  A very
disheveled and sickly old fart opened the door and greeted me with a hearty
"You're an Idiot".  Higher praise I could not have hoped for.  Indeed idiocy
has been a lifetime goal.  Success at last.

Charlie was a bit under the weather, but a fine host nonetheless.  We
discussed all the great issues of the world until about 1:00 am when I
excused myself  (re: got thrown out) and retired to the Mar-Mar for a
night's sleep.  Sunday morning broke overcast and winds from the south.  I
loaded up, suited up and headed out around 10:00 am, after the morning chill
broke.

The run home was sweet.  Again I was forced to take a semi-direct route
skipping some of my very favorite twistie bits.  But enough cannot be said
for the roads up there, I sampled a little of, 178, 235, 65, 74, 377, 27,
16, 80, & 71 before joining up with the "Talimena Drive" westbound into
Oklahoma.  I have ridden this drive maybe a hundred times over the years and
it still is a special thrill.  I intend to have my ashes scattered from its
peaks when the time comes.  That should tell you something of my feelings
for this magical place.  I got a special thrill this trip.  I passed a van a
one point, stopped unloading a trio of "street-lugers" at the top of one
very long hill.  When I got to the bottom I pulled over to wait for the show
to go by.  Sure enough, about 10 minutes later they came flying by.  I am
usually the craziest fart on that mountain but today it was their turn.
Zipping by at 50 or 60 on wheels about 4" in diameter; they were inches off
the asphalt.  In full leathers and full-face helmets, at least they were
outfitted properly.  I took off and was amazed to see they had carried
enough speed to make it up the other side of a sizable hill.  Gave'em the
thumbs up as I sped past and resigned myself to the fact that the fun stuff
was about at an end.

Oklahoma 259 runs south all the way to Texas, with decreasing elevation as
you go.  By the time I reached Texas the sun was beginning to make it's way
to the horizon once again.  I watched another glorious color extravaganza
over the Red River flood plain as I hooked up with I-30 and the last
100-mile drone home.  It was peaceful though, riding off into the
sunset/twilight knowing had had just experienced one of those special times
that you can't really plan, they just sometimes happen.

Life is good.

"UnderDawg"
STeve Duncan
'00 Sprint-ST, Black as Nite
Dallas, Tx

"you don't know that you don't know what you don't know"