[ST] Re: Helmet cam

On Tuesday, January 15, 2002, at 11:55 AM, st-digest wrote:
>  I accidentally came across
> this site today.  They even have some motorcycle footage including a
> crash.
> http://www.helmetcamera.com/

I have one of their cameras that I use in conjunction with a Canon
GL1.   The picture quality is decent but not great, but then I'd rather
have the helmet camera exposed to the elements than my Canon.

It attaches with industrial grade velcro, 3m I believe, that you can
find at walmart.  I originally mounted it on my helmet but have since
moved it to the upper fairing above the mirrors.  This is for 2 main
reasons:  I'd rather not have to contend with the cable if I had a
sudden getoff and when mounted on the camera the video can be quite
dizzying when while riding you check around you at lights and
intersections.  The battery has a great life, I've never had it run out
of power while riding (even when using for several days) but that's more
due to the limitation of the camcorder battery running low before the
helmetcam.

The best video I ever shot though was by simply bungee cording my
camcorder to the top of the tankbag, and using a polarized filter to
protect the camera's lense.  The only drawback with this is that the
camera tends to shift around while riding and may not be pointed where
you actually want it by the end of the ride.  Also, if you have a tinted
windshield forgetaboutit.

If anyone is interested in a helmet camera I'd reccomend checking ebay
instead of ordering from their website, they list them from time to time
(to increase interest in the camera I suppose) for a little over half
what you'd pay ordering direct.  I think I paid $180 plus shipping for
mine, including spare lense covers.

Jeff Jenkins, Gun Dawg