RE: [ST] Triumph fabric clothing

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Cunningham Andrew wrote:

> Ok, but if I'm going to consider heated clothing, what should I be looking
> for and who makes good stuff at reasonable prices?

It all appears to be good, so let your budget help you decide ;^{)

When I was shopping, I just wanted a vest.  If you keep the core organs
warm, the warm blood seems to help the extremities to some degree.

The best vest I found was Doug Grosjean's Cassiar at
www.gr8designs.com.  Rumour is he's working on a jacket too but it's
probably a year away...

Looked at the Aerostich fleece vest with windstopper, and probably would
have gone that way had I not found out that Eclipse, who left the electric
clothing market about a year and a half ago, was selling their remaining
stock at deeply discounted prices.  Their product isn't listed on the
their page (www.eclipseluggage.com) but their phone number is.

As others have noted the basic collar-less vest/jacket seems to be the
best option, else your jacket may not zip all the way up or let you fasten
your collar.  A snug fit is important, as you'll want it up against your
body.  I find that a tee shirt or long sleeve tee as a first layer, then
the electrics, then a fleece or thermo liner then outerjacket do the job
nicely.

Cord management hasn't been a problem to me, they are long enough that you
can dismount and get gas without unplugging if you want to, but it's awful
easy to unplug if you use the accessory outlet.  I'm dealing with headset
cord for CB/walkman so another cord doesn't put me off.  I've still not
decided if the heat-troller is needed yet, as I've never gotten too hot
from my vest but I can see when it warms a little it may be nice to
modulate the heat down a bit.

AFAIK Gerbings is the only jacket liner out there now, and they have a
vest and gloves.  Widder has a couple of vests and gloves, RiderWearhouse
(Aerostich) has a vest, mebbe 2 (100/200 wt fleece?), and Gr8Designs has
the Cassiar vest.  There is another company out there that makes a
throw-over type vest which utilizes the conducting fabric like the Cassiar
does but their name escapes me, and it wasn't a particularly attractive
product due to the open sides.

Hope that helps someone!

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail