Re: [ST] Tire tools

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Garrett Johns wrote:

> I am seeking advise  from all the do it yourself tire changers on  the list
> as to which  of the many available tire tools would be the prudent choice

A friend who changes tires for us sez:

"You need a valve core tool, a decent bead breaker, 3 long tire irons, the
rim savers are a must, and the balance stand, along with the tire lube and
an air compressor."

He did a hell of a job on the Mrs.'s VFR.  Noted that he used long spoons
for the added leverage they provide.  He had enough rim savers to go half
way around a rim.  The bead breaker was a stand up model with a long lever
at the top, he used a plastic bag between the tire/rim and the metal of
the breaker, guided the breaker's foot with his foot, and used body weight
to push the lever down.  He used a real tire lube product (name escapes
me) and had an assortment of weights, though with static balancing you'll
prolly only need small weights and you can get so good you may not need
weight.

If I hadn't been helping, he woulda had both changed in an hour or
so.  And the care taken with the rims and the balancing, well, you just
won't get that kind of service in a shop!

 --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\

End of st-digest V2002 #32