[ST] Re: tire tools

Garret asked about tire tools.

Garret, I change all my own tires.  I have found that you need a few
things to do it right.  Get at least 4 tire irons.  2 short, and 2 long.
You will find that you can't have too many, and they're dirt cheap so
just get 'em.  The long ones need to have a curve at the end for getting
the second bead off the rim when removing the tire.  It's sooooooo much
easier when you have the long ones for this.  Incidentally, if you find
you need the long ones for leverage, you are doing something wrong.
Short ones work fine with minimal effort.  Rim savers do exactly that.
You cannot have too many of these either and they are pathetically
cheap.  Get al least enough for half the rim (4).  Without them you WILL
bugger the rim.  Bead Breaker?  Just how are you planning to get the
tire off without it?  You'll need it.  I have a JC Whitney model that I
used for a while that I have since replaced with a complete manual tire
changing machine.  If you want it, I'll send it to your US door for $50.
I'll even throw in a handful of stick on weights.  Works fine, but the
new machine I bought has one on it.  The JC Whitney model I'm referring
to cost me $63 + shipping if I remember.  It's not the cheapo
clamp/screw job I've seen for $12.  BTW, that thing looks like a PITA
and I don't think it will fit around a 190 tire.

All in all, I can't see paying out hundeds of dollars to be at somene
else's mercy when it comes to getting tires changed.  Besides, you'll
save money just on tires alone as you can change the tire when the tire
is actually used up instead of haveing to change it with tread left
because it was a little more convenient to do so for the upcoming trip
you're planning.  You can also change out a half used tire before a long
trip and then remount it when you have returned to use it up later. This
saves you the hassle of worrying about tires while on your trip as well.
Wouldn't you rather ride than sit in a dealership all day waiting for
service?

Cheers,
Jonathan West