[ST] SuperCross

Went to the SuperCross races at Anaheim yesterday, great seats thanx to EA,
fun folks to hang with, and most of all some actually damn good racing.

Interesting note: most redneck, all white, buzz-cut and mullet coifed crowd
I've hung out in for a while, and the hero of the day is a 16 y.o. black
kid from somewhere in the Southern boonies named...get this...James
Stewart.

(note: I've always considered the real James Stewart to be one of the real
American heroes, unlike, say, Ronald Reagan or John Wayne. He was a movie
star when WWII broke out, and instead of staying in Culver City and making
training films, he chose to fly bombers over Germany.)

He dumped it in the first lap of the final, went to last (22nd), and
managed to get back to 2nd by the finish. And the crowd egged him on with
every pass, on their feet for the last lap.

I don't think he got any special "love" because he's black. But to be
honest, I don't think anyone in the crowd really cared...and that's the
interesting point. Think that'd happen at a faculty or board meeting??
Sometimes I think it's the Camaro-driving, Palmdale-living folks that are
going to lead us out of this mess...

MarcD